st: how to insheet an excel spreadsheet into panel format

From   "Glenn Wingard" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: how to insheet an excel spreadsheet into panel format
Date   Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:40:03 -0400

This may be an elementary question, but i'm completely new to stata and hope someone can help.
I have a data-set in excel which lists countries in the first column and years in the first row like so:

Country Name 1960 1961 1962 1963
Afghanistan 4.13 4.45 4.88 9.17
Albania .. .. .. ..
Algeria 38.75 45.90 19.65 24.50
American Samoa .. .. .. ..
Andorra .. .. .. ..
Angola .. .. .. ..
Antigua .. .. .. ..
Argentina 7.60 5.99 4.69 7.89
Armenia .. .. .. ..
Aruba .. .. .. ..
Australia 14.24 15.79 14.74 16.84
Austria 23.69 23.39 24.25 24.48 ..

I want to insheet this into stata in a panel format like so:

country year POP openc
Aruba 1960 -999 -999
Aruba 1961 -999 -999
Aruba 1962 -999 -999
Aruba 1963 -999 -999
Andorra 1960 -999 -999
Andorra 1961 -999 -999
Andorra 1962 -999 -999
Afghanistan 1960 -999 -999
Afghanistan 1961 -999 -999
Afghanistan 1962 -999 -999
Afghanistan 1963 -999 -999

Is there any way that this can be done? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
Thank you.

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/