st: first xtmixed question

From   David Airey <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: first xtmixed question
Date   Tue, 12 Apr 2005 18:08:40 -0500

.

Actually, this is not so much about xtmixed but Mata. There is some discussion of Mata and speed recently. I saw one posting from Vince Wiggins of Stata Corp. suggesting a 2000 fold improvement relative to .ado code when multiplying matrices. What is the performance loss of a program like xtmixed coded by .ado (if there ever was such a thing during development), and coded as it is, and how does it now fair compared to SAS Proc Mixed, SPSS Mixed, or R LME in terms of speed? I'm assuming speed is comparable across these packages. This is not an important question to answer, just curious.
--
David C. Airey, Ph.D.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center

*