st: Stata 9 announcement

From   [email protected] (William Gould, Stata)
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Stata 9 announcement
Date   Mon, 04 Apr 2005 01:29:43 -0500

We have a tradition of telling Statalist members about new releases of
Stata before anyone else, so here it is:

I am pleased to be the one to announce the release of Stata 9.

Stata 9 begins shipping on April 27th.

Highlights include

    o  New matrix language Mata, with 620-page manual.
       Mata is a full-blown matrix programming language that compiles
       what you type into byte-code, optimizes it, and executes it fast.
       You can use Mata interactively, or you can use Mata to implement
       big systems.   We used Mata to implement many of the new features
       of Stata 9.

    o  New survey features, including balanced repeated replications
       (BRR) and jackknife variance estimates, multistage designs, and
       poststratification.

    o  Linear mixed models, including two-way, multilevel, and
       hierarchical random-effects -- random intercepts and
       random coefficients.

    o  Multinomial probit models, including support for several
       correlation structures and support for user-defined correlation
       structures.

    o  Probit and tobit with endogenous regressors, including
       maximum-likelihood and two-step estimators.

    o  Stereotype logistic regression (relaxes the assumption of
       proportional odds).

    o  Zero-truncated Poisson and negative binomial.

    o  Multivariate analysis, including multidimensional scaling,
       correspondence analysis, biplots, tetrachoric correlations, and
       Procrustean analysis, along with the ability to analyze proximity
       matrices and raw data.

    o  Seasonal ARIMA models, including robust standard errors.

    o  Nonlinear least squares that is now as easy to use as linear
       least squares, and including clustered-robust standard errors.

    o  Bootstrapping and jackknifing that is easier to use, including
       full VCE estimates.  (You can now just add -vce(bootstrap)- or
       -vce(jackknife)- to your estimation command.)

    o  XML support.

    o  Enhanced GUI, including multiple Do-file editors, multiple
       Viewers, multiple Graph windows, all of which can move outside
       the main Stata window; multiple windowing preferences; dockable
       windows; copy text to HTML; etc.

    o  More 64-bit support, including 64-bit Windows and 64-bit Linux on
       Itanium, Opteron, Athlon 64, and EM64T.  (Still available are
       AIX, IRIX, Solaris, and Tru64.)

I've just given the highlights.  Other features include rolling and
recursive regressions; robust and clustered-robust SEs for random-
effects and fixed-effects regression; mean, ratio, total, and proportion
estimators for groups with full VCE; paired-coordinate plot types;
value labels up to 32,000 characters, etc.

For more information, visit http://www.stata.com/.  You can order
from there, or you can send email to [email protected].

Just do not send email directly to me -- [email protected].  I'm heading
off to the German users meeting and will not see your email until I
return.

-- Bill
[email protected]

P.S.  Every time I announce a new release, a few people are concerned
      that, having just bought Stata, they need to buy again.  Not true.
      There is special upgrade pricing for those who purchased recently.

      The rule is simple:  if you purchased in January, February, March,
      or April, you get the upgrade for the difference in cost, and
      there is a discount for those who purchased in December.

      In these special cases, the easiest way to order is to call
      1-800-STATAPC or send email to [email protected].

      Of course, you can always call or send email if you have
      questions.
<end>