st: re: inclusion of EPS in pdflatex documents

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: re: inclusion of EPS in pdflatex documents
Date   Fri, 1 Apr 2005 21:18:52 -0500

Tze said

I have been encountering the same problem while using Adobe Acrobat Distiller to convert EPS graphics from Stata into PDF. The problem is that after conversion, I view the resultant PDF and the graph is always "embedded" in a 8.5in by 11in "canvas" even though the graph is several sizes smaller than letterpaper size. In other words a lot of white-space is created that should not be part of the graph.

I have been attempting EPS -> PDF conversion because for a variety of reasons I need to use the pdfLaTeX driver (I typeset in LaTeX), which accepts inclusion of single-page PDF graphics but not EPS. And it's not just Distiller which creates this problem, but Ghostscript (plus GSview) as well.

The latter assertion is false. pdflatex accepts eps files when the appropriate package ( epsfig) is invoked. See my recent posting with a fragment of LaTeX code for an example. I use pdflatex (driven by TeXShop on OS X) routinely with eps files as the only form of graphical input.

% Encapsulated PostScript figures
\usepackage{epsfig}

as suggested by Stata Journal / Stata Press style info (see the stata-journal website).

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics
http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html

*
* For searches and help try: