st: Re: comparison between a repeated ordinal measures

From   "Michael Wood" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: comparison between a repeated ordinal measures
Date   Thu, 31 Mar 2005 16:10:31 -0500

Thanks to Joseph Coveney for an interesting illustration of Stata categorical
commands and data reshaping.

Joseph W. may want to consider dropping column 5 which has only one, unique
observation, which will allow the use of Stata's -symmetry- command.

Using the data prior to the -reshape long- command,

symmetry sco0 sco1, contrib

          |               sco1
  sco0 |   1      2      3      4    Total
----------+----------------------------------
        1 |   28     18      6     0     52
        2 |   21     78     44    1    144
        3 |    7     34     96     5    142
        4 |    0      3     18    16     37

  Total |   56    133    164     22    375

                     Contribution
                     to symmetry
   Cells           chi-squared
--------------  --------------

 n1_2 & n2_1          0.2308
 n1_3 & n3_1          0.0769
 n1_4 & n4_1          0.0000
 n2_3 & n3_2          1.2821
 n2_4 & n4_2          1.0000
 n3_4 & n4_3          7.3478

                                                                   chi2         df      Prob>chi2
Symmetry (asymptotic)                            |      9.94      5         0.0770
Marginal homogeneity (Stuart-Maxwell)  |      9.79      3         0.0205

The symmetry model fits, albeit poorly; the marginals are different. The main source
of difference for the symmetry chi sq is respondents (n=5) who reported 3 at time0
and 4 at time1, versus those (n=18) who responded 4 at time0 and 3 at time1.

Michael Wood
<[email protected]>