RE: st: Naming equations when using the ml command

Subject   RE: st: Naming equations when using the ml command
Date   Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:25:47 -0500

At 04:15 PM 3/30/2005 -0600, Jun Xu wrote:
Miss the second part. For value lables, you can try Scott Long's _pecats and get returns from it. It really depends. If you have fixed number of equation, then you can set up loops like

_pecats yourvar
loc catvals = "r(catvals)"
loc j = r(numcats)
forval i = 1/`j' {
loc val`i': word `i' of `catvals'
}

Then you can grab those val`i' for your equation names. If you don't have fixed number of equations, then you need to again set up some kind of loops. Not sure if this is what you meant to accomplish.
Incidentally, I am finding that this may be more trouble than it is worth. mlogit seems to be able to handle just about any value label and using it as the equation name. But, I am finding that I have trouble with value labels that contain spaces or commas, and value labels that get used more than once, and probably various other quirks I haven't tested yet. Just leaving the equation names as eq1, eq2, etc. is starting to look more attractive.
*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/