Re: st: frustrated by missing variables--collapase and merge

From   Julia Gamas <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: frustrated by missing variables--collapase and merge
Date   Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:21:37 -0500

Thanks, this is interesting.  I do also work with large datasets and start every
Stata session by increasing the memory to 500m.  I do have more memory for that
purpose and wish I had more.  Also, I believe that the Stata that I have can
only hand x number of variables, isn't there another version of stata that can
handle more (or is that just for matrices)?.  Another command: "compress" can
help if you have very large datasets.  And finally, what I find with large
datasets is that I can "chop them up" using Stattransfer, collapse each one or
do operations on each one, and then merge the smaller databses back using, in
my case, the geographic area that they belong to.  Perhaps you've already tried
it.
Thanks for the tip on bysort.
Julia