Re: st: odds ratios in ordered logit models

Subject   Re: st: odds ratios in ordered logit models
Date   Wed, 23 Mar 2005 09:55:00 -0500

At 09:49 AM 3/23/2005 -0500, Zhu, Carolyn wrote:
Hi,

Would any one tell me after estimating ordered logit models which the proportional odds assumptions are pretty much satisfied, should I still compute the marginal effects? Also, what is the general rule on the number of categories the dependent variables can take on?

Thanks,
First off, I would recommend installing Long and Freese's -spostado- routines, as they include some nice commands for estimating marginal and discrete effects.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't estimate marginal effects. If you find the information useful, go ahead.

I don't know that there is any specific rule on number of categories for the DV. At some point, you might wonder if you have enough categories to warrant treating the variable as continuous rather than ordinal. I suppose you might run into potential problems if you have so many categories that the Ns within a category are very small.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]