RE: st: Interaction terms in a logit model

From   "Daniel Schneider" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Interaction terms in a logit model
Date   Sun, 20 Mar 2005 14:33:28 -0800

As far as I understand most of the papers quoted, there is in fact a
problem with the LR test approach as well, because it basically uses the
same mechanisms. The authors argue that interaction effects vary across
probabilities in strength and significance.

My main problem is finding a way to discuss the substantial content of
my data analysis and not just saying that they are sometimes significant
and sometimes not. I tried to use -predict- and changing the values of
my variables (similar to what -prvalue- or -prgen- do), and then make
some nice graphs showing how the predicted value changes with the
different values for my variables. The problem is, that I am just not
sure if the Ai & Norton (2000) basically says "you can't do that" and if
this is true, what else I can do to demonstrate the effect of the
variables in my model.

Another interesting article on that topic is

Chi Huang / Todd G. Shields (2000): "Interpretation of Interaction
Effects in Logit and Probit Analyses: Reconsidering the Relationship
Between Registration Laws, Education, and Voter Turnout", American
Politics Research, Vol. 28, No. 1, 80-95

Because they also work on the problem and use graphical procedures to
illustrate effects like I am trying to do. I will probably just follow
their example...