RE: st: Interaction terms in a logit model

From   "Hoetker, Glenn" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Interaction terms in a logit model
Date   Sat, 19 Mar 2005 12:13:25 -0600

If your dummy variable does in fact reflect that you are looking at
differences across groups, you really need to read Allison's 1999 piece
cited below. Partially building on Allison's piece, I have a paper in
which I test whether cross-group differences in residual variation
really matter (as opposed to being a theoretical concern without
practical impact). Monte Carlo simulations indicate that even small
differences in residual variation can indeed invalidate cross-group
comparisons. Using interaction terms to model different groups in logit
models ends up being particularly risky--you can even end up with
significant results in the opposite direction!  Allison's tests, while
they have some limitations, are a definite improvement on common
practice.

If you are interested, the paper is at
http://www.business.uiuc.edu/ghoetker/documents/Hoetker_comp_logit.pdf.
You can install the Stata code it discusses from within Stata:

	net from http://www.business.uiuc.edu/ghoetker

and carry on as normal from there.  Please be aware that the software is
work in progress.  In particular, there is absolutely no sanity
checking.

As far as I know, so long as you aren't using the interaction term to
model cross-group differences (which is what introduces the potential
for differences in residual variation), you should be okay.

Glenn

Glenn Hoetker
Assistant Profess of Strategy
College of Business