st: RE: Re: help creating a unique identifier

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: help creating a unique identifier
Date   Thu, 17 Mar 2005 17:37:26 -0000

As flagged by Michael, there are several FAQs
relevant to this kind of manipulation.

How do I create individual identifiers numbered from 1 upwards?
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/group.html

How do I create a variable recording whether any members
of a group (or all members of a group) possess some
characteristic?
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/anyall.html

Michael Blasnik

> A similar question was recently asked and FAQ certainly
> addresses the unique
> identifier, but here are some answers:
>
> egen SeqId=group(id_dom)
>
> or
>
> sort id_dom age
> gen SeqId=sum(id_dom!=id_dom[_n-1])
>
> for your second question, if there are no missing values on
> age, then this
> works:
>
> bysort id_dom (age): gen byte hasover15=age[_N]>=15
>
> otherwise, the easiest approach may be:
>
> egen maxage=max(age),by(id_dom)
> gen byte hasover15=maxage>15 if maxage<.

Joao Pedro Wagner de Azevedo