st: RE: Number cases into groups based on a shared value

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Number cases into groups based on a shared value
Date   Mon, 14 Mar 2005 18:39:01 -0000

-egen, group()- is a wrapper around this
main idea:

bysort SomeNum : gen GroupNum = _n == 1
replace GroupNum = sum(GroupNum)

I have forgotten all the SPSS syntax
I ever knew, which was very little and a
long time ago, so I can't translate the
other way. And -by:- is pretty Stataish.
It may not be very translatable.

In more words,

0. -sort-ing on SomeNum is needed. (-egen-
does that quietly, if needed, and then undoes
it. With DIY, you must DIY.) You see that.

1. Once you have

SomeNum
10
10
11
11

16
16

then you just assign 1 to the first in
each block with a 1 and assign
0 to the others:

SomeNum        GroupNum
10                1
10                0
11                1
11                0

16                1
16                0

2. Finally, what you want is the
cumulative sum, given by -sum()-.

Another way to do it is

sort SomeNum
gen GroupNum = _n == 1
replace GroupNum =
	cond(SomeNum != SomeNum[_n-1], GroupNum[_n-1] + 1, GroupNum[_n-1])
	in 2/l

which is closer in spirit to the code you have, but not the
approved way to do this.

Mike Lacy