Re: st: Predict Command after zinb

From   May Boggess <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Predict Command after zinb
Date   11 Mar 2005 11:21:08 -0600

On Friday, Anju asked:

> I am trying to understand how the predict command
> works after zinb command. I want to know if we can use
> generate command to get the same result as predict
> command.

Here is an example that shows what -predict- can do after -zinb-:

 clear
 webuse fish
 drop xb
 zinb count persons livebait, inf(child camper) nolog
 predict xb1,xb
 gen myxb1=[count]_b[persons]*persons /*
 */ +[count]_b[livebait]*livebait+[count]_b[_cons]
 sum xb1 myxb1

 predict xb2,xb equation(#2)
 gen myxb2=[inflate]_b[child]*child /*
  */ +[inflate]_b[camper]*camper+ [inflate]_b[_cons]
 sum xb2 myxb2

 predict p,p
 gen myp=exp(xb2)/(1+exp(xb2))
 sum p myp

 predict n, n
 gen myn=(1-p)*exp(xb1)
 sum n myn

My technique for finding out what -predict- is up to behinds the scenes
is to use -set trace on-. Now, a lot of times -set trace on- produces
too much output to search through, but I have found that for the
purposes of finding a -predict- formula, there is surprisingly little
output. Then one can look back through the trace to find the generate
statements that -predict- actually used.

By the way, a nice feature of -set trace on- that I have used, is the
highlight. It highlights a specific word in the output making it easier
to find what you are looking for. Type

 whelp trace

to see the help file for that.

-- May