st: Newbie: matching observations in two adjacent periods

From   Marc PrudHomme <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Newbie: matching observations in two adjacent periods
Date   Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:48:44 -0500

HI list members,

We are new to Stata and are are tad lost with regards to the following
operation we are attempting complete and hoping that someone will be able to
help us please.

In our data set we have a sample of price observations for period 1 and
period 2. We would like to isolate these observations that are identical
between both periods (all observations are coded, therefore identical
observations will have an identical code in each period). Once the identical
ones are determined, we would then proceed with computing their price
ratios. The part that is baffling us is what can we do in Stata in order to
be able to isolate these identical observations from one adjacent period to
the next?

I suspect that this is an embarrassingly easy one. ;-)
Thanks

--
Marc Prud'Homme
Department of economics / D�partement de science �conomique

Office / Bureau: Room / pi�ce 111
Administration: Room / pi�ce 110
Email / Courriel: [email protected]