st: RE: replacement of missing values [was: RE: Help]

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: replacement of missing values [was: RE: Help]
Date   Mon, 7 Mar 2005 17:48:41 -0000

This is equivalent to

bysort hhid (indicode member) :
	replace indicode = indicode[1]
	if mi(indicode) & member == 1

(just one line)

Nick Cox

> The first non-missing value in each household is
>
> bysort hhid (indicode member) : gen firstnonmiss = indicode[1]
>
> except that this will return missing if all values
> in any household are missing.
>
> so it sounds as if you want to impute like this
>
> replace indicode = firstnonmiss if mi(indicode) & member == 1
>
> I can't see that -collapse- could help here.

Fanwell Kenala Bokosi