st: Re: statalist-digest V4 #1900

From   evan roberts <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: statalist-digest V4 #1900
Date   Wed, 02 Mar 2005 11:53:17 -0600

This is a relatively straightforward way to do it too, and the way the IPUMS suggests
http://www.ipums.umn.edu/usa/chapter5/chapter5.html

cd C:\
use test.dta
sort nh pid
save test.dta, replace

use test.dta
keep nh sid age educ
rename sid pid
rename age spage
rename educ speduc
sort nh pid
save temp.dta

use test.dta
merge nh pid using temp.dta
save newtest.dta

The resulting dataset has everyone in it, including people who don't have a spouse. Use the _merge variable to drop people without spouses.

Evan Roberts