Re: st: How to transfer a variable's value into a macro (in a panel dataset)

From   Gregory Branch <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: How to transfer a variable's value into a macro (in a panel dataset)
Date   Sat, 26 Feb 2005 06:03:29 -0800 (PST)

I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about this, but
it might be more efficient to take a slightly
different tack on this. Something like the following
might work:

1) Make a second copy of your data set.
2) Generate a column of "1"s
3) reshape wide, i = year, j = firm, xij = whatever
you called the column of ones.
4) merge back onto the original dataset by year.

Best of luck

Greg Branch
Research Scientist,
UT Dallas/Texas Schools Project