st: RE: Factor based estimation of discrete probability distribution (OPROBIT?)

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Factor based estimation of discrete probability distribution (OPROBIT?)
Date   Tue, 22 Feb 2005 22:48:57 -0000

The ordered probit seems open to two
objections:

1. month (really season) is a circular scale, not an
ordered one. Clearly January follows December just
as December follows January, but an ordered probit
model would take no account of that fact. (That's
assuming a conventional numbering 1 ... 12 but
any other start to the year provokes a similar
comment.

2. regarding season as a response seems the wrong
way round to me.

As you have you have a temperature variable as well, it
is not clear that month as such is needed.

In some other problems with circular predictors, using
sine and cosine terms works well. On the whole, however,
this looks more like a fairly standard regression problem with
temperature as presumably the main forcing covariate,
except that you may well need to try to capture various
production and consumption influences as well; and
the whole has a time series flavour.

Harald Scheule, PhD