st: RE: RE: RE: RE: FW: RE: RE: Problem with legend option - bug?

From   "Dupont, William" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: RE: FW: RE: RE: Problem with legend option - bug?
Date   Mon, 21 Feb 2005 18:06:43 -0600

Nick

First, I'm not really arguing.  Just stating preferences that I believe
would make the software easier to use.  Second, I don't claim to know
"what is going on under the hood" or what improvements to Stata are easy
or hard to implement.  The ideal solution would be to make the legend
option work regardless of whether -legend- is or is not nested.
Intuitively, I would have thought that providing error or warning
messages would be easier than changing the syntax  -- perhaps I am
wrong.

With respect to disabling confusing or rarely used syntax I believe you
do misunderstand me.  What I am suggesting is the disabling of syntax
that the parser ignores.  I would think it unlikely that anyone would
wish to use an option that was ignored.  Perhaps there are programming
examples where you would want to do this, in which case a warning
message would be preferable to a true error message.  Either way, this
would not prevent people from using infrequently used commands.

Of course it is true that it is very difficult to know what the user
really wants.  It is probably safe to assume, however, that she/he wants
something.  Hence, any time the user enters syntax that is ignored it is
very likely that he/she has done something wrong.  Also, the debugging
of any program is always more difficult if the parser is allowed to
ignore text that it does not understand.

In your first email in this thread you seemed to imply that the Stata
parser did not act as an advice or counseling facility.  There is,
however, at least one example where it does play this role.  If you
issue an -stset- command with the -id()- option, the parser will give a
-PROBABLE ERROR- message if it thinks that you have messed up.  I have
often found this feature to be very helpful in correcting the errors of
my way.

I do agree that documentation is key and have found Mitchell's book to
be very helpful.  The online documentation on the -legend- and -by-
options could be easier to find.  In my case, I only discovered it after
doing a search of the Statalist archives, which led to David Harrison's
helpful email.

Bill