RE: st: RE: RE: Displaying values less than one with a zero in front of the comma

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: RE: Displaying values less than one with a zero in front of the comma
Date   Mon, 21 Feb 2005 22:51:26 -0000

Whoa, just a small point please! I said I like this myself, not
that it should be the law!

(2) More flexibility in applying different
> formats to different parts of the display.  I'm frustrated, in
> particular, when I want to use a fixed format but different
> variables'
> coefficients in my regression either have a different number of
> significant digits or (since the concept of significant digits is
> questionable in economics) different magnitudes of the least
> significant digit.  Example 1: I'd rather see 0.023 and
> 0.0032 instead
> of either 0.0231 and 0.0032 or 2.3E-2 and 3.2E-3.  Example 2: I'd
> rather see 2.3 and 0.32 than either 2.31 and 0.32 or 2.3 and 3.2E-1.
> ["and" takes precedence over "or" in parsing these examples.]

I am intrigued here. I don't understand the comment
about economics. Does the logic of showing economic
numbers differ from that elsewhere?