st: RE: RE: RE: FW: RE: RE: Problem with legend option - bug?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: FW: RE: RE: Problem with legend option - bug?
Date   Mon, 21 Feb 2005 22:38:57 -0000

We may be arguing at cross-purposes here. Let
me try to make myself clearer.

Naturally I agree that Stata's syntax is pretty complicated
here and that
	understanding the syntax oneself (everyone's problem)
	explaining that to others (many people's problem)
are important issues.

But my sense is that what Bill wants, even if judged a desirable
tweak to the software, is about an order or two more
difficult to program
	in a consistent way
      and without undesirable side-effects
than he seems to be guessing. This is because the
problem touches on what the user is thought
to want, which is not a question of syntax at all.

But desirability in principle is the first thing
to discuss.

I sense steps towards two alarming principles here --

	if some users get mighty confused by some syntax,
	then that syntax should be disabled.

	if some syntax is rarely used,
	then that syntax should be disabled.

There are two big empirical questions here, and who
is going to collect the data, but more crucially
that's pretty tough on the people who understand
that syntax or people who want to use the rarely
used syntax, either rarely or even frequently.

I must be misunderstanding, because I can't believe
that I am hearing these ideas.

What I can support is people writing wrapper graphics
programs that give simplified interfaces to -graph-,
in effect using a different syntax, and some of my
own programs come into that category. It's quite
difficult to do that without making desirable things
impossible. That is, the programmer provides a simplified
way to get certain kinds of graph, but has to try to
keep open the scope for users to modify something else
not directly controlled by their program.

Similarly, some one could write a -byplot- (or whatever)
with wired-in defaults for what is (supposedly) rarely
used and tweakable options for what is often wanted
to tweak. That would be a far easier solution than StataCorp
being advised to cut functionality because of these
principles. (More important than my incredulity here is
that I can't see StataCorp buying these principles.)
There is no need for brilliant ideas here: you just
hard-wire option choices you find yourself making
repeatedly.

To put it another way, I assert that if there is a solution to
this confusion it comes mostly at the level of
add-ons, or indeed at the documentation level. Michael
Mitchell's book is a striking illustration of a how
a different format explains many things that some readers
fail to find, or fail to understand, in [G].

Dupont, William