st: RE: RE: Displaying values less than one with a zero in front of the comma

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Displaying values less than one with a zero in front of the comma
Date   Mon, 21 Feb 2005 21:34:35 -0000

The issue as I see it is not whether people want this.
FWIW, I prefer leading zeros myself in this interval.

The issue is that many, many Stata programs choose
particular formats for output. I am not clear how
any global setting could be very effective given
that fact. In other words, local freedom for
programmers, StataCorp or not, to set up formats
as they wish controlling their output is somewhat
at odds with the idea of a universal instruction.

That doesn't rule out trying to give users some
flexibility, as exemplified by many programmers'
work, including Ben's.

Elsewhere I have tried pushing the idea that
an array of values may require an array (not
necessarily of the same dimensions) of
formats. This is standard in some languages,
but not well supported in Stata.

Jann, Ben