Re: st: RE: survey completion "flag"

From   "Marilyn Matevia" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: survey completion "flag"
Date   Thu, 17 Feb 2005 22:21:33 -0000

Let me push my luck a little...  If this is the right way to write
the code (to evaluate which of 170 questions is the last question
answered):

egen LASTRSP = rlast(Q001-Q170)

... Is there a way to have it return the variable name (which is the
question number) instead of the value of the response?

Thanks for your help!  Marilyn M.

> Have a look at -egen, rlast()-.
>
> Nick
> n.j.cox@d...
>
> Marilyn Matevia
>
> > I am a very new user of Stata, so I apologize in advance if this
is
> > a dumb question.  I'm still learning how Stata "thinks"
(compared to
> > SAS) and can't figure out how to tackle this:
> >
> > I have a data set of responses to a very long (170 questions)
survey
> > with many nested skip patterns, and about 2200 respondents.
After
> > working out the skip codes, I still have many "missing"
observations
> > for some items, and figure these are due to incomplete surveys.
> > want to create some kind of "completion flag" to see which
> > respondents make it to the end of the survey, and - if they
don't -
> > to see which question is the respondent's last (which is
complicated
> > by the skip patterns).
> >
> > I'm just not coming up with a sensible way to do this in Stata.
Can