st: RE: setting global in a loop

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: setting global in a loop
Date   Tue, 15 Feb 2005 12:51:58 -0000

Taking another look at the code,
an alternative is

foreach i in c d e f {
 	global `i'indvars "pid `i'hid"
}

The point is mostly one of maintenance.

I wouldn't trust myself to remember that
char(99) is "c" for more than a few minutes.

More to the point, on revisiting the code
later a programmer (even the original
programmer) who shared this failure
of memory would have to work that out
afresh. Using the letters directly