RE: st: Superimposing graphs

From   "Scott Merryman" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Superimposing graphs
Date   Thu, 10 Feb 2005 20:45:54 -0600

I am not sure why this didn't work.  Using the auto data set, the comparable
commands would be

twoway (scatter mpg weight if fore == 0) ///
(qfit mpg weight if fore == 0) ///
(scatter mpg weight if fore == 1 ) ///
(qfit mpg weight if fore == 1)

which works fine for me.

However, like your example, this returns an error:

twoway (scatter mpg weight if fore == 0 || qfit mpg weight if fore == 0) ///
(scatter mpg weight if fore == 1 || qfit mpg weight if fore == 1)

0| invalid name
invalid syntax
r(198);

Though if we do just one set of -twoway (scatter...|| qfit...)- it works.

Again, I think the problem binding () and separating ||.  Either notation
works, but combining doesn't seem like a good idea.

When it gets to capture -noi .Graph : .twowaygraph_g.new- (-set trace on-
for all the details) it appears the outer set of parentheses is stripped.
So

twoway (scatter mpg weight if fore == 0 || qfit mpg weight if fore == 0)

becomes essentially -twoway scatter... || qfit...- :

= capture noi .Graph : .twowaygraph_g.new scatter mpg weight if fore == 0 ||
qfit mpg weight if fore == 0

In this syntax:

twoway (scatter mpg weight if fore == 0 || qfit mpg weight if fore == 0) ///
(scatter mpg weight if fore == 1 || qfit mpg weight if fore == 1)

there are no outer parentheses

= capture noi .Graph : .twowaygraph_g.new (scatter mpg weight if fore == 0
|| qfit mpg weight if fore == 0) (scatter  mpg weight if fore == 1 || qfit
mpg weight if fore == 1)
0| invalid name

And so it is views each ( ) as one command.

Of course, none of the above may be correct, but it is how I read the log
file.

The moral seems to be don't try to bind() what should be separated||

Scott