st: RE: Forcing stata to use a non-updated command

From   TEWODAJ MOGUES <[email protected]>
To   Stata _ <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Forcing stata to use a non-updated command
Date   Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:16:50 -0500

Hi Nick,

My objective was only to understand whether the differences in my
results were Stata upgrade related or data-changes related. I am not
sure why Stata 7 is now giving different results than it used to. I
don't know, maybe when xtabond was fixed in Stata8, updating xtabond
in Stata 7 also results in replacing xtabond with its corrected
version. I may well have done this updating of Stata 7 in the past. In
any case, I have returned the official ado files to their original
folders, so no harm done. Thanks for the cloning idea.

Tewodaj

----------------------
Message: 14
   Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 17:37:01 -0000
   From: "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
Subject: st: RE: Forcing stata to use a non-updated command

As often pointed out on this list, it is
not a good idea to mess around with
official Stata ado files, even if you
think you know exactly what you're doing.

Also, you seem to be assuming that
an error recently reported will be
fixed retrospectively for Stata 7.
That is not the case. Stata 7
is history, especially so far as updates and fixes
are concerned, although StataCorp
will continue to provide tech support
to registered users. In some cases,
perhaps this one, that tech support
might consist of advising you that
the problem was fixed in Stata 8,
and so you would be advised to upgrade.
This is a brutal question, as people
who pay to upgrade don't want to see
scarce Stata resources devoted to
maintaining dead versions.

Anyway, I would have cloned -xtabond- under
another name if this were an issue under
Stata 8, but if my diagnosis is correct,
the -xtabond- you are using will be
exactly what it was, so only under
Stata 8, or through your programming,
will you able to explore the issue.