st: Which model to select:Fixed effect or random effect model

From   "Dawit Lidia" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Which model to select:Fixed effect or random effect model
Date   Sat, 22 Jan 2005 14:36:57 +0000

Dear All,

I am comparing fixed and random effect models [y[i,t] = Xb + u[i] + e[i,t]] using Hausman specification test. The test rejected the fixed effect model. The result is as follow

chi2(18) = 17.64, Prob>chi2 = 0.4795

However, when I use Breusch and Pagan Lagrangian multiplier test for random effects (xttest0) the result is follow

est: Var(u) = 0
chi2(1) = 1.93
Prob > chi2 = 0.1649

It seems random effect model is not appropriate for the data set I have. In addition the fixed effect model gives the following test for the presence of individual effects:

F test that all u_i=0: F(47, 354) = 1.45 Prob > F = 0.0344

It says there are individual effects and thus I can't use pooled OLS.

The above results indicated that the Breusch and Pagan Lagrangian multiplier test for random effects rejected the random effects model but the Huasman support random effect model and the fixed effect model support presence of individual effects. Which model can I choose if my interpretation of the above results is correct?

Thanks for your help.

Dawit