Re: st: can't print -tmap- output

From   Phil Schumm <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: can't print -tmap- output
Date   Wed, 12 Jan 2005 17:55:30 -0600

At 2:57 PM -0500 1/12/05, [email protected] wrote:
I'm generating US maps using -tmap- (thanks Maurizio Pisati) along with
usmap.dta and fips.dta (via -ssc desc usmaps- ; thanks Scott Merryman).

When I copy and paste a map so produced from Stata into Microsoft Word it
looks great (aside from the legend which is way too small--a minor quibble
for the moment).  However, when I print it, it is one big black blob, hiding
all the variation by state.  I've tried many different ways of pasting it
into Microsoft Word and all look good on the screen and only one (JPEG) can
print okay (though the JPEG image is fuzzy).  Has anyone figured out how to
do this in a more satisfying way?

I use Word only rarely, but whenever I've needed to incorporate a figure (e.g., a Stata graph) into a document, I've always translated it into EPS (encapsulated PostScript) format and then used Insert -> Picture -> From File... This should give you excellent results when printing, at least when printing to a PostScript printer. The -translate- command may be used to translate a graph into a variety of formats (including EPS), and -graph set- may be used to alter things such as size, orientation, and font. Type "graph set eps" to see the current settings.

-- Phil
*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/