Re: st: odbc - load MS access queries + import access labels

From   Joseph Coveney <[email protected]>
To   Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: odbc - load MS access queries + import access labels
Date   Tue, 11 Jan 2005 12:50:49 +0900

Daniel Mueller wrote:

I can indeed simply load queries created in Access with -odbc load,
table("QueryName")-. I didn't get there because -odbc query- does not list
them and '[R] odbc' talks about tables only. thanks a lot!

[earlier post]
2. Did anybody find out how to transfer the variable description from MS
access as labels into Stata using -odbc-? [excerpted]  Any news on
that?

I hate to sound like a shill, but Stat/Transfer will show queries as well as
tables that exist in an Access database.

The new release (announced on the list this morning) transfers Access variable
descriptions into Stata variable labels.

You can call Stat/Transfer from within Stata, which is handy for documenting
your work in do-files with -cmdlog-.  I try to do all of my work with Stata's
commands when I can, using -odbc- and -fdause-, for example.  But there are
times when you need a third-party application like Stat/Transfer or DBMS/Copy,
for instance, when you're handed a SAS transport file with a variable that
happens to be named _rc.  The new Stat/Transfer release's enhanced SAS transfer
features are worth considering if you work a lot with SAS datasets--not even
SAS's own SASViewer can read value labels from a current-version SAS catalogue
file.

(I have no financial ties to or other interests in Circle Systems and don't
expect any.)

Joseph Coveney