Re: st: STATA 9 - when will it be released?

From   Roger Newson <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: STATA 9 - when will it be released?
Date   Mon, 13 Dec 2004 22:17:43 +0000

At 21:52 13/12/2004, Martin Rio wrote (in reply to jockmcdock):
have you tried saving your data files with "saveold" rather than "save"
when you use Stata 8? That will make the files created in both sites
compatible. Just a suggestion.

martin

Another possibility might be to use the -descsave- package, downloadable from SSC, together with -insheet- and -outsheet-. (Use the -ssc- command to download it.) -descsave- is a Stata program which writes Stata programs, and is itself Stata 7, but the programs it writes should be compatible with Stata 8, 7, 6 and 5.

In Stata 7 or 8 (and presumably also in Stata 9 when it comes out), you can type

descsave, do(myfile.do, replace)
outsheet using mydata.txt, replace

and your data will be written to a file -myfile.txt-, which will be a tab-delimited generic spreadsheet, and a Stata do-file will be written with the name -myfile.do-,
capable of reconstructing the variable labels, value labels, types and formats of the variables. If you then take both of these files to a machine on which an older version of Stata is installed, then, in the older version of Stata, you can type

insheet using mydata.txt, clear
run myfile.do
describe

and you will find that your Stata dataset has been reconstructed under the older version of Stata, complete with types, formats, value labels and variable labels. It is also possible to reconstruct characteristics (see help for -descsave-). -descsave- is useful for porting data back from Stata 8 to Stata 6, which cannot be done using the -saveold- command (which only writes Stata 7 files). I would be surprised if -descsave- did not work under Stata 9, whenever it comes out.

I hope this helps.

Roger

jockmcdock ([email protected]) wrote:
> Hi
>
> is there any news on when Stata 9 will be released? I currently work
> at two sites. At one site, I have Stata 7 (single user) and at the
> other Stata 8 (university licence). As I often do work on the fly at
> one site for the other, I have to make sure that data files are
> compatible (i.e. version 7). I could update from 7 to 8, but if Stata
> 9 is released, my Stata 8 version will 'automatically' be updated
> version 9 and I will be back in the same situation (which I'd like to
> avoid). So, if there any plans to release STATA 9, I'd be pleased to
> hear of them.
>
> Regards
>
> Joseph

Linux is user friendly. It's just very particular about who it's friends are.

Roger Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics
Department of Public Health Sciences
King's College London
5th Floor, Capital House
42 Weston Street
London SE1 3QD
United Kingdom

Tel: 020 7848 6648 International +44 20 7848 6648
Fax: 020 7848 6620 International +44 20 7848 6620
  or 020 7848 6605 International +44 20 7848 6605
Email: [email protected]
Website: http://phs.kcl.ac.uk/rogernewson/

Opinions expressed are those of the author, not the institution.