Re: st: more on xtabond2

From   "David Roodman" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: more on xtabond2
Date   Thu, 09 Dec 2004 19:37:31 -0000

Danielle,
  If I understand correctly, you are saying that L.binge_30 is
exogenous in first differences. In this case you need to
explicitly "instrument" it with itself with an iv() clause:

xtabond2 sex_12 L(sex_12 binge_30) age_mo, gmm(L.sex_12) iv(binge_30)
noleveleq

This puts binge_30 in both the regressor and instrument matrices, in
first differences.

   Kit is right of course that all of the instruments actually
instrument all of the regressors, so that it is not technically
correct to talk of particular instruments instrumenting particular
regressors. However, it is still a meaningful notion. A instrument
instruments a particular variable to the extent that the instrument's
unique variation is correlated with the variable's unique variation.

--David Roodman, author of xtabond2

--- In [email protected], Danielle H Ferry <dferry@g...>
wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Can someone please clarify what Stata does w/ the following two
commands?

> 1) xtabond2 sex_12 L(sex_12 binge_30), gmm(L(sex_12 binge_30))
noleveleq
> 2) xtabond2 sex_12 L(sex_12 binge_30) age_mo, gmm(L.sex_12)
noleveleq