st: RE: RE�: rho and wald test in heckman

From   "Julian Fennema" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE�: rho and wald test in heckman
Date   Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:35:07 -0000

Dear Katarina,

The problem with the Wald test in ML estimation is that the negative Hessian
is used to compute the variance-covariance matrix. If the parameter
estimates are close to the population parameters this is fine, but the
smaller the sample size the less likely this is to be the case. Therefore,
if possible, it is best to try a LR test (see, for example, "ML estimation
with Stata", p. 5-6).

The LR test of no selection process in a Heckman can be obtained if you
estimate a Tobit on the structural equation, but this is not only one
restriction of rho=0 as is commonly asserted. It is actually more
complicated; the degrees of freedom is equal to the number of regressors in
the structural or threshold equations (the largest) plus one (rho). As a
statement this is confusing and I would suggest having a read of Johnston
and DiNardo, "Econometric Methods", 1997, p. 451 to decipher what I have
attempted to say.

Hope this helps,

Julian

  _____