st: corruption

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: corruption
Date   Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:16:28 -0500

Tim asked

Why would downloading from the ideas archive directly result in files that are possibly corrupt? Those of us stuck behind corporate firewalls typically do not have any other option but to download updates and ado files directly. I have never had any problems with the direct downloads, have I been just lucky?

If you are not using Windows there is very little chance of a problem in using a web browser to get these materials. But for Windows users, you run into the problem that Bill Gates has hijacked the meaning of ".hlp" to mean something special for Windows--worse yet, it is a binary file on Windows, which means that all those corporate virus-checkers that are looking for .bin, .exe, .com, .scr, etc. that might really mess up your Windozer have a good chance of preventing you from downloading a .hlp. If you can download a .hlp, it will probably be munged beyond recognition - or so many Windows users tell me when they wonder what's wrong with downloads from SSC via browser. Thus the exhortation to avoid same. If it works for you, great. But for an increasing number of Windows users (given enhanced concerns about security) it does not work at all.

Even if you have a firewall, if it allows browser downloads, it should work with Stata; Stata is talking on port 80 (HTTP) as well when it does 'net' commands. You might have to set your proxy settings in Stata, just as someone has probably done for your web browser. I have had to do this in various UK academic sites where they use proxy servers.

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics
http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html

*
* For searches and help try: