Re: st: Is there a way to use ivreg2 without running the first stage regression?

From   "Mark Schaffer" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Is there a way to use ivreg2 without running the first stage regression?
Date   Tue, 23 Nov 2004 16:28:33 -0000

Gregory,

I'm not quite sure I understand what you're asking for.

ivreg2 does standard IV.  Internally, there is only one stage, which
I suppose is standard for packages these days - "2SLS" is a somewhat
archaic term and it isn't common to do IV in two steps any more.

In any case, if it's standard IV that you want to do, you should be
able to write down a model that can be estimate in one stage; if you
can't, then it isn't IV.

In your case, say for example you have two periods.  You have one
endogenous variable and a set of excluded instruments that I suppose
are also time-varying.  You want to know if the coeff on the endog
regressor changes over time.  What's wrong with the following?

- say the equation in the original form has 3 regressors, one of
which is endogenous, and 2 excluded instruments:

ivreg2 y x1 x2 (y1=z1 z2)

- Interact your endog regressor y1 with time so that you have two
such regressors, y1_t1 and y1_t2

- Interact your excluded instruments with time to get four such IVs,
z1_t1 z1_t2 z2_t1 z2_t2

- Estimate

ivreg2 y x1 x2 (y1_t1 y1_t2 = z1_t1 z1_t2 z2_t1 z2_t2)

and test the equality of the coefficients on y1_t1 and y1_t2.

Probably there's something wrong with this, but a specific example
might help to clarify the question.

--Mark