st: Re: splitting variables

Subject   st: Re: splitting variables
Date   Tue, 23 Nov 2004 09:08:23 -0500

Here's a short program that will chop apart a string every two characters and accepts a varlist. It is hard-wired to name the new variables as the old variable name plus an underscore and incrementing number (name_1, name_2,...). It also only allows string variables so, in your case, you need to make sure that the variables are strings or use tostring to accomplish that.

program define chop2
version 8.2
syntax varlist (string)
quietly {
foreach var of varlist `varlist' {
local i=1
count if substr(`var',`i'*2-1,2)!=""
while r(N)>0 {
gen `var'_`i'=substr(`var',`i'*2-1,2)
local ++i
count if substr(`var',`i'*2-1,2)!=""
}
}
}
end

You would just type -chop2 varlist- where varlist could be the hundreds of vars you need to do this to. There are other approaches, but this one works OK (use of a tempvar and summarize to calculate the maximum length of each string variable and then setting the loop explicitly rather than count/while would probably be faster)

Michael Blasnik
[email protected]

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jean Bouyer" <[email protected]>