Re: st: RE: Graphing limitations / questions

From   Fredrik Wallenberg <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Graphing limitations / questions
Date   Mon, 22 Nov 2004 07:52:47 -0800

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:22:44 -0000, Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
> Fredrik Wallenberg
>
> > I have a few graphs that I cannot seem to create using Stata 8.
> > Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction (or confirm that
> > it can't be done ... without creating a new dataset).
> >
> > I have two multiple choice survey questions. I would like to visualize
> > the combinations of the answers in one out of three ways.
> >
> > A) Use a scatterplot but use the area of each coordinate dot to
> > illustrate how many observations there are for that combination. The
> > best I've done to date is using matrix and scatter, but that doesn't
> > quite do it.
> >
> > graph matrix q3_3_4 q3_3_3, half jitter(3) msize(tiny)
>
> > ... I can see how I could do A by creating a variable that had,
> > as the weight, the total count for each combination and then us that
> > as the aweight. Is there a nicer way?
>
> As you say you could -- and should -- create a weight.
>
> bysort q3_3_4 q_3_3 : gen N = _N
> egen tag =tag(q_3_3_4 q_3_3)
> scatter q_3_4 q_3_3 [w = N] if tag
>
> > B) Use a 3 dimensional histogram (with the two variables and the x and
> > z axis and the join distribution on the y axis). This can easily be
> > done in Excel, why not in Stata?
>
> Why not? Partly because most people who want to do this can do it easily
> in Excel, I imagine... But it's clearly a reasonable thing to want.

That is a rather bad argument since you can easily to barcharts,
scatterplots etc in Excel :-)

> > C) use -histogram, by-, BUT get ONE graph, treating the -by- options
> > as separate variables in the same graph. Once again this seems like a
> > reasonable thing to do but Stata doesn't have any support for it (that
> > I can tell).
>
> You mean you want them superimposed?

yes, similar to a set of bar charts. Once again I guess I could do
someting about collapsing the data and actually use bar charts.