st: program to measure missing values of one variable against others

From   David Kantor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: program to measure missing values of one variable against others
Date   Wed, 17 Nov 2004 12:06:07 -0500

Hi.

I will need a program to take a varlist, and for each variable, see how badly it is populated with missing values with respect to all the others.

The purpose is to see which variables are the spoilers -- the ones that cause the most damage in terms of limiting the usable set of observations in an analysis. Thus, it is not enough to say that x has 98 missing values. If they are mostly the same cases as have missing values in other variables, then it's not a problem. If they are largely in cases different from those with missing values in other variables, then it is a problem.

I can do this with not too much effort, but I ask in case someone knows of an existing program for this purpose. (Or is there something in standard Stata?)

Thanks to anyone with suggestions.
-- David

David Kantor
Institute for Policy Studies