st: RE: is a "rectangular" correlation matrix possible?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: is a "rectangular" correlation matrix possible?
Date   Mon, 15 Nov 2004 18:19:37 -0000

Yes. As a point of terminology, square matrices
are all rectangular too; your request includes
oblong matrices in which the number of variables
differs as between rows and columns. A good Stata
friend tells me that no American he knows has been
taught the word "oblong".

Enough fooling.

You can do this in various ways. Two
canned methods are to use -makematrix- from SSC
or the more specific -cpcorr- from SSC.

Doing it directly is instructive:

(1) set up your matrix and fill with nonsense:

mat r = J(50,3,0)

(2) cycle over your two varlists:

local i = 0
qui foreach x of var var1-var50 {