Re: st: RE: Quadratic term validity

From   SamL <[email protected]>
To   Stata Listserve <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: RE: Quadratic term validity
Date   Wed, 10 Nov 2004 13:37:04 -0800 (PST)

Well, um, actually, there is an economic theoretic reason for the
quadratic term in age, drawn from (among other sources) human capital
theory--declining returns to _________________ (experience, prior
training, fill in the blank with what you mean age to signify).  So, I'm
not sure I'd drop the linear term, as the theory does not imply only
curving returns.

There may be other economic theories that justify the quadratic and the
linear term.

Finally, statistically, removng the linear term implies no main effect.
Does that make sense?  It might help to graph the results.  I think no
linear term would be a major problem, but maybe not.

HTH.
Sam