st: Bugs in generating variables?

From   Fabrice Etile <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Bugs in generating variables?
Date   Thu, 04 Nov 2004 11:02:46 +0100

Dear Stata Users,

Here is a strange output, which shows that Stata 8 has some problems for dealing with inequalities:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

log: c:\data\aninserm\inserm03\countmodels\logforstata.smcl
log type: smcl
opened on: 4 Nov 2004, 10:53:51

[added comment : continuous is a continuous (formatted double) variable in the range 0-1.1]
. ta continuous

continuous | Freq. Percent Cum.
------------+-----------------------------------
0 | 7,156 92.55 92.55
.1 | 241 3.12 95.67
.2 | 150 1.94 97.61
.3 | 99 1.28 98.89
.4 | 48 0.62 99.51
.5 | 23 0.30 99.81
.6 | 6 0.08 99.88
.7 | 6 0.08 99.96
.9 | 2 0.03 99.99
1.1 | 1 0.01 100.00
------------+-----------------------------------
Total | 7,732 100.00

. g discrete=(continuous>0.1)
[added comment : I generate a discrete variable which takes value 1 if continuous is strictly greater than 0.1]
. ta continuous discrete

| discrete
continuous | 0 1 | Total
-----------+----------------------+----------
0 | 7,156 0 | 7,156
.1 | 0 241 | 241
.2 | 0 150 | 150
.3 | 0 99 | 99
.4 | 0 48 | 48
.5 | 0 23 | 23
.6 | 0 6 | 6
.7 | 0 6 | 6
.9 | 0 2 | 2
1.1 | 0 1 | 1
-----------+----------------------+----------
Total | 7,156 576 | 7,732

As you can see, observations with continuous==0.1 should have discrete==0 and this is not what happens!!

Has someone an answer to that?

Cheers

Fabrice Etil�

PS: note that one of my colleague showed me a similar bug, so that it is not a hardware-related problem.

Fabrice Etil�
INRA-CORELA
65, Bvd. de Brandebourg
94205, Ivry-sur-Seine cedex
T�l: 01 49 59 69 86
Fax: 01 49 59 69 90
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.ivry.inra.fr/corela/membres/etile.php

"L'ennui dans ce monde, c'est que les idiots sont s�rs d'eux et les gens sens�s pleins de doutes." - Bertrand Russell

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/