st: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Bad dotplot command?

From   "Wallace, John" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Bad dotplot command?
Date   Mon, 1 Nov 2004 17:12:54 -0800

Thanks for the tutorial on the ,combine option.  The result is perfectly
satisfactory for what I'm doing.  Reading across columns is much easier
than comparing quadrants.
I'm sure I'll be taking that Netcourse soon.

-JW

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: Monday, November 01, 2004 4:24 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: RE: RE: RE: RE: Bad dotplot command?

You can specify -combine(row(1))-, as
is implied by the -syntax- statement.

Note that the -syntax- statement should read

combine(str asis)

not

combine(passthru)

as my follow-up posting indicated. But, as you
may fear, there was no claim that -mdotplot- is anything
other than a bundle of -dotplot-s stitched together.

NetCourse 151 starts in January!

http://www.stata.com/netcourse/nc151.html

Wallace, John

> Hi Nick
> I got a chance to test the mdotplot code you wrote last week
> and the output
> was a bit different than what I was expecting.  The three variables
> (mdint_bioc, mdint_bioc_s, median948) were individually
> plotted in their own
> little graph within a 2 x 2 array of graphs, as no doubt was
> directed by the
> graph, combine command in the ado.  I was wondering if it was
> possible to
> display each variable as a column in the same graph field, as
> is seen when
> you run the standard dotplot with multiple variables and no
> marker labels.
>
> The marker labels displayed correctly in the code you
> provided, by the way,
> but the end result seemed to be the same as if I had made
> three separate
> single variable dotplots and then combined them.  If that was your
> intention, then thankyou, it automates that process.  If you
> were intending
> them to have a similar representation as the multivariable
> dotplot, then the
> outcome was different.
>
> If you can't spare the time to tweak it, then thanks for
> pointing me along
> the way. Perhaps the approaches of overlaid 2-way
> scatterplots could be
> followed (nesting the graph statements?) along with some code
> about relative
> placement of the columns, depending on the number of variables being
> plotted?

Nick Cox