st: Re: How to change matrix row names

From   Friedrich Huebler <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: How to change matrix row names
Date   Mon, 1 Nov 2004 14:46:30 -0800 (PST)

Nick, I take your message to mean that it is not possible to replace
characters in matrix row names. In that case I will continue to use
the solution suggested by Stata tech support, which changes value
labels before any matrices are created.

My final goal is a tab-delimited text file that will be imported into
a word processor to create a table like the one below. This table
compares income across different groups in the same sample from a
national household survey.

===================
Group        Median
             income
===================
Male           $XXX
Female         $XXX
-------------------
Primary ed.    $XXX
Secondary ed.  $XXX
Higher ed.     $XXX
-------------------
Urban          $XXX
Rural          $XXX
-------------------
New Jersey     $XXX
New Mexico     $XXX
New York       $XXX
Total          $XXX

I save the output from several -tabstat, by()- commands in matrices,
combine them in one big matrix, save this big matrix as variables
with -svmat2-, and export the variables to a text file with
-listtex-. Creating the table this way is faster than using
-collapse- repeatedly because it does not require saving anything to
my slow hard drive until the last step.

Friedrich Huebler