Re: st: Comments on Methodology of Paper Estimating Iraqi Deaths

From   Ricardo Ovaldia <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Comments on Methodology of Paper Estimating Iraqi Deaths
Date   Fri, 29 Oct 2004 11:24:18 -0700 (PDT)

--- Stephen Soldz <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have been asked to comment on the methodology of
> yesterday's paper in the
> [online] Lancet by Les Roberts, et al., estimating
> excess deaths in Iraq at
> 100,00 since the US invasion.

This is a somewhat silly article. I am surprise that
Lance is publishing it, although maybe I should not
be.  The article simply finds that more people died
during war time than during a shorter time period just
prior to the war. That should not surprise anyone.
People died during a war (innocent or other wise),
that is why wars should be avoided. Regardless of the
analysis, the conclusion will be the same: more people
died violently during war time.

Also note that these counts are based on self reported
data that may be bias and subject to alterior motives
and agendas.
My two cents.

Regards,
Ricardo.