st: redundant dummies that are not dropped

From   "Ngo,PT (pgr)" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: redundant dummies that are not dropped
Date   Tue, 26 Oct 2004 10:49:06 +0100

Dear Statalisters,

Thank you very much for the answers you gave me on my last posting. That wa very helpful. Could someone help me on the following?

I have two sets of dummies: region and communes dummies.

When I introduce both region and commune dummies in a simple OLS regression, I would expect one of the two sets of dummies to be dropped since they overlap. However, this is not the case and Stata gives me estimates for BOTH region and communes dummies.

I find this very puzzling. Would someone know what it is I am doing wrong?

Thanks a lot.

Thi Minh