st: RE: "no observations" in kernel regression

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: "no observations" in kernel regression
Date   Mon, 18 Oct 2004 22:48:45 +0100

First check that your variables are not
held by Stata as string variables. If so,
-destring- them.

Otherwise, I presume you are using -kernreg- from STB-23,
originally published in 1996.

In 1999 I posted what I believe was a fixed
version of -kernreg- as -kernreg2-, which you can find
on SSC, given various bugs and misfeatures in -kernreg-.

Over the last five years I have encouraged
the first author of -kernreg- to publish a revised
version of -kernreg-, both in public and in private,
and both in my personal capacity and as Executive
Editor of the Stata Journal, but nothing has ever been
done.

All this however is now history, as the program -locpoly-
(see results of -search locpoly-) essentially does
the same thing better, so long as you have Stata 8.

Otherwise try -kernreg2-, so long as you have Stata
6 or Stata 7.

Otherwise, you may need to look inside -kernreg- and see if you
can find the bug yourself.

Raul Andrade