st: Non linear least squares program, Stata versions?

From   "Diego Rei" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Non linear least squares program, Stata versions?
Date   Thu, 14 Oct 2004 16:06:54 +0200

Dear Statalisters,
I am encountering a problem  that has been discussed on the list few months ago, but apparently not in a conclusive manner.
I am trying to run an nl program with Stata 8 and I get the following error:
invalid syntax
nlprogt2 refused query, rc=198.
On the list it was suggested, answering to a similar question,  that this might have to do with the quoting signs   ' in program lines. I checked them and they are all ok. So, I tried to run the same program on an Stata 6, and it actually worked. However, now, in Stata 6, if I slightly alter my program, it stops with the following message:
nlprogt2 refused query, rc=198. Note that there doesnt appear the line saying "syntax error".
Can anyone enlighten me about what is the point here?Is there a place where I can find what the meaning of "rc=198" or similar is?
Thank you very much for your help.