Re: st: RE: Negative Binomial Models

From   "Marc F. Bellemare" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Negative Binomial Models
Date   Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:54:04 -0400

Hi John:

I don't have Maddala's (1977) textbook, but I have his monograph on LDVs, and he touches briefly upon count data models in it, yet he does not mention the negative binomial model. He merely says that count data models are to be used (I'm paraphrasing) "when the outcome is discrete but not categorical, e.g. 0, 1, 2, 3, ..." I don't have my Cameron and Trivedi (1986) book on count data with me, but you would be sure to find a definitve answer in there.

Marc

At 04:41 PM 10/13/2004 -0700, you wrote:

In my earlier email, I meant to say "not" exceed 50 counts. There are a lot of criminologists using these models with counts over 50 now, so if this is true, it would be helpful to get the correct information out. Alternatively, people may incorrectly be avoiding using these models in sociology because of this reference.

Thanks,
John

--------------------

may contain privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use,
of the original message.

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
Marc F. Bellemare
Ph.D. Candidate
Department of Applied Economics and Management
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853-7801
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/mfb24