st: Re: keyboard behavior

From   Christopher F Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: keyboard behavior
Date   Wed, 28 Jul 2004 09:20:06 -0400

On Jul 28, 2004, at 2:33 AM, Stas wrote:

I figured out the problem might be coming from the MS Word that was also
running separately in another window. For some reason, MS Win XP decided
to do me a great favor, and started replacing the quotes in every
application it could. It cannot replace it in the terminal window with
pine mail program running in it, where I am typing... if you know what I
mean... this message now. It does in Stata, or the Do-Editor.

I think I was coming across something related when I was not able to enter
a very natural stuff like `a' either into Stata, or into my editor
(WinEdt), or into both. The `a part was replaced into "a" with a grave...
&agrave;, if that can be rendered in the HTML formatting mail programs. I
think I had to type, symbol-by-symbol, `-a- -' with a space in the middle
to let Windows know that I want that part to be entered without the
accent. That's all so insane.
$sanity = s/MS Win XP/RedHat Linux/igm;

Kit