Re: st: binary endogenous variable

From   Mark Schaffer <[email protected]>
To   [email protected], "S.Rahardja" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: binary endogenous variable
Date   Sun, 25 Jul 2004 13:00:38 +0100 (BST)

Sjamsu,

Quoting "S.Rahardja" <[email protected]>:

> Mark,
> Thank you for the tips.
> At first I'd thought about running an IV, but then I
> started thinking about the consequences on fitting a
> binary variable using linear model i.e. the predicted
> value from the 1st stage from a binary variable won't
> be bounded between 0 and 1.

It doesn't matter; the coefficient estimate will still be consistent if you
use IV.  See, e.g., Heckman and Robb (1985) (in Heckman and
Singer, "Longitudinal Analysis of Labor Market Data", CUP), p. 185, who
point out that the advantage of IV is that it "is the least demanding in
the a priori conditions that must be satisfied for its use."

The only thing you need to be aware of is Wooldridge's recommendation that
a heteroskedastic-robust F-statistic is used when interpreting the first-
stage regression statistics.  See Wooldridge's (2002) book, p. 92.

Cheers,
Mark