st: Re: Greek characters

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: Greek characters
Date   Thu, 22 Jul 2004 17:04:10 -0400

On Jul 22, 2004, at 2:33 AM, Tom wrote:

Thanks, Mark.
I'll follow your advice and I'll install these fonts and change STATA
display fonts.
To be honest in my Mac instead of the greek alphabet I got empty
"boxes";
based on what you post, I think I can manage it, it's a font issue.

Dimitris,
Thanks for raising the point.

Cheers,
Tom
What works on a Mac will not work the same way on Windows/Linux/Unix (despite the fact that Mac OS X is Unix, the character set is not ISO 8859-1 (Latin-1)).

I recently dealt wit this issue in getting a chap's accented name to appear correctly, on output and in a graph title, irrespective of the OS. Here is a fragment of code (ssc type clemao1.ado) which does that:

local ne = char(241)+char(233)
if "$S_OS" == "MacOSX" {
local ne = char(150)+char(142)
}
di in gr _n "Clemente-Monta`ne's-Reyes unit-root...

graph combine ddv mint, col(1) ti("Clemente-Monta`ne's-Reyes single AO test...

The name is M-o-n-t-a-n tilde-e acute-s.

Kit

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/